Rituals are intentional small, tangible acts finished routinely and carry that means. Our household has a number of New Yr’s rituals, together with a nature hike. This 12 months we hiked by the Pacific Ocean in Massive Sur. (Pictured above)
Rituals can be used by professionals to boost personal productivity as a result of rituals capitalize on our brains’ potential to direct our habits on autopilot, permitting us to achieve our objectives even once we are distracted or preoccupied with different issues. (In truth, there’s a lab at Stanford that research office rituals and a guide, “Rituals at Work,” dedicated to the subject)
For over twenty-five years, I do a number of rituals that assist me put together for the 12 months forward as a result of they permit me to achieve focus and readability. Right here they’re:
- Overview the Yr: I take advantage of device referred to as the “Year Compass, a free downloadable booklet that gives a set of structured reflection questions that provide help to look again and forward. Since I do that yearly, I additionally take a look at what I wrote the earlier 12 months.
- Begin A New Skilled Journal: For so long as I can keep in mind, I’ve stored an annual skilled journal, utilizing a variation of bullet journal technique. I name it my “To Do, To Accomplished, Don’t Do, Reflection Listing.“ I take advantage of it for annual planning and aim setting.I additionally use it as a mirrored image because the 12 months progresses. I’ve weekly and month-to-month look forward rituals, however not simply duties. I replicate on my themes for the 12 months and habits to enhance.
- Replace & Overview My Work-Life Steadiness Plan: In my workshops on private and organizational wellbeing, I assist nonprofits enhance their private resilience by means of life-work steadiness and self-care. I take advantage of my very own self-care plan template to put in writing down what I’ll do. This 12 months I’ll proceed my dedication to artistic actions together with “Journal as Altar,” and calligraphy with fountain pens. I may even proceed my give attention to my bodily well being, significantly my every day step aim of 15K.
- Determine “My Three Themes”: I do a mix of Peter Bregman’s theme for the year, and Chris Brogan’s “My Three Words.” Chris Brogan’s approach is choose three phrases, however I modify it by articulating key themes. I take advantage of the themes to information my skilled work and writing. I’ve used Chris Brogan’s approach for over a decade and located it very useful in holding me targeted.
- Write A FutureMe Electronic mail: I take advantage of a website referred to as “FutureMe” to put in writing an e-mail to myself post-dated a 12 months from now, a practice I’ve been doing for just a few years now. I simply acquired my 2021 e-mail which begins with “As you learn this, I hope the pandemic is within the rear window, we’re all nonetheless wholesome and we’ve been vaccinated.” Properly, 2 out of three shouldn’t be unhealthy!
Yr in Overview
Right here’s what I realized from trying over my 2021 skilled accomplishments:
- NTEN Lifetime Achievement Award: I used to be honored and really stunned to be awarded the NTEN Nonprofit Technology Lifetime Achievement Award. I’ve been a part of the NTEN neighborhood since its inception and whereas that is my ultimate 12 months as a NTEN board member, I’ll additionally proceed to be a neighborhood member.
- The Good Nonprofit: Allison Positive and I wrote and submitted the manuscript for our second guide collectively, The Smart Nonprofit: Staying Human-Centered in Age of Automation. The guide, revealed by Wiley, will launch in March, 2022. If you would like a sneak peek, check out the article we co-authored on nonprofit digital transformation revealed final month within the Harvard Enterprise Overview. Within the first half of 2021, Allison Positive and I gave many shows on our report, AI4Giving, funded by the Gates Basis.
- Office Wellbeing: I revealed “The Happy Healthy Nonprofit: Strategies for Impact without Burnout,” with co-author Aliza Sherman just a few years in the past. The book was well received and was #1 on Amazon’s Nonprofit Books many instances. The stress of the pandemic prompted the largest demand for workshops and talking engagements, regardless that these engagements have been on-line. I shifted quite a lot of my content material and recommendation to give attention to making a life-work steadiness if you work remotely and learn how to create a extra linked digital workforce in addition to digital wellness.
- Distant and Hybrid Facilitation Workshops: In the course of the pandemic, soared in studying how facilitate higher virtual meetings. I’ve continued to show facilitation and assembly design workshops and training for on-line and hybrid meetings
- Coaching & Facilitation: I’ve maintained an lively schedule of convention keynotes, grasp courses, workshops and webinars on the subjects of office wellbeing and digital transformation for nonprofits. I’ve additionally facilitated many nonprofit workers retreats and convening and supplied coaching for different facilitators. The highlights together with designing and facilitating for the Gates Basis Larger Giving Digital Summit and a coaching for the Communications Network. I additionally facilitated a number of peer studying teams, together with Instructing Tuesdays for trainers with John Kenyon for the Mother and father Middle workers, and a peer studying group on office wellbeing for the Resilience Initiative. All finished remotely from house as I’ve but to get again on airplane. I’ve continued my work as senior advisor to Lightful, a social media administration device for charities primarily based in London. I’ve been delivering digital masterclasses and serving to to develop their capability constructing packages in digital expertise.
- Writing: I’ve been writing Beth’s weblog since 2004 and have been so thrilled with my new design for my weblog which was lengthy overdue. I used to be lucky to work with Eve Simon and Cindy Leonard on this makeover. Whereas I’m publishing much less right here throughout 2021, I proceed to put in writing articles and weblog posts revealed elsewhere. Writing is a way to crystalize your ideas.
My Three Themes:
This 12 months I’ve chosen the next three phrases to information me into 2022.
Flexibility: The pandemic is instructing all of us about the advantages of versatile work – having the ability to work from wherever whether or not in an workplace or from house. However flexibility can be about being adaptive and having the freedom to select your people, priorities, and purpose. With new virus variants popping up and the uncertainty all of us face, it requires being reflective and the flexibility to pivot and adapt. I’ve taught management workshops on being adaptive, however I wish to revisit this idea for 2022 and go deeper.
Flourishing: Flourishing is about optimistic feelings and optimum well being, each bodily and psychological. Flourishing requires spaciousness in your work and life, and letting go of hyper busyness and embracing reflection for steady enchancment. Some have referred to as this the slow work motion and it will possibly provide help to flourish.
Joyful: If I have been to proceed with one other “F” phrase, it will be enjoyable or play. However I like joyful which implies experiencing or inflicting happiness for your self or others. Enjoyable doesn’t imply goofing off or not working arduous, however laughing and pleasure that may be energizing. Adam Grant said it properly, “Having enjoyable isn’t an enemy of effectivity. It’s gasoline for locating circulation. Play isn’t a reward for lastly making it by means of your to-do checklist. It *belongs* in your to-do checklist.” One device that I’m exploring is “Action for Happiness,” that helps incorporate pleasure into your every day life.
Once I look again on 2021, whereas the pandemic nonetheless creates quite a lot of uncertainty, I’ve found that utilizing all of the methods and approaches I share in my trainings and books, I’m capable of maintain optimistic. What are your hopes and goals for 2022?